My name is Christopher Lalor.
As an independent insurance agent with millions of dollars in life insurance policies sold...
I must admit, I don’t like SelectQuote life insurance, very much.
They are the Goliath of the life insurance industry.
SelectQuote Life does sell more insurance in one month than the independent agent sells in an entire year.
But this does not make them better than the independent agent. It just means they are bigger and have more name recognition.
This SelectQuote Review article will explain in detail why you should never buy life insurance from this company.
LIFE INSURANCE MADE EASY
Select Your State for an Instant Quote
David vs Goliath
Every day we compete against SelectQuote Life Insurance for the privilege to earn your business and be your life insurance agent.
Despite the fact their reputation and marketing budget is much bigger than mine, we have had good success competing against them.
How have we done this?
MY SECRET WEAPONS TO EARN YOUR BUSINESS
- I have MORE life insurance companies to quote vs. SelectQuote insurance services. This helps me give you more options with more coverages at a better price.
- I have more in-depth knowledge (20+ years) of the company underwriting guidelines than any SelectQuote insurance service representatives. (For example -Did you know that Banner Life, unlike most life insurance companies, will still give you their best health class if you have a family history of cancer?) If you have any health issues, please click here for a quote.
- My approach is not aggressive. SQ wants to collect your personal info so they can email and call you dozens of times. I don't have time to pester people. I show you free quotes (no personal info required) and let you contact me if you want to apply or have a question. When we speak, my focus is on your budget, goals, and finding the best life insurance product that meets your needs.
- My service is excellent! I will take the time to explain the details of all the options that are available to you and help you select the best one that meets your goals and objectives.
But how do I convince you to give us a chance to earn your life insurance business instead of using SelectQuote life insurance? To start, here are some facts about SelectQuote Reviews…
Invasion of Privacy!
Did you know SelectQuote requires your name, phone number, and email to see free quotes? Not here! Haven allows you to compare the best term quotes (10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 year term) with no personal info required!
Quotes are quick, easy, and no personal info is needed!
SELECT QUOTE LIFE INSURANCE HAS AN AGGRESSIVE APPROACH
- Select Quote life insurance saturates the advertising market with multiple TV, radio, & print adds per day. They pay Google, Bing, Yahoo & others lot’s of $$$ to rank #1. This means there is pressure to sell lots of life insurance to pay these expenses!
- Many SelectQuote sales representatives have claimed on Glassdoor that there is a lot of pressure to make sales (Just read through a few of their 1-star reviews). Our co-owner, Chris Huntley, worked closely with agents who previously came from Select Quote but started a new agency, JRC Insurance Group, because they were sick of the antics there. They said they worked in a call center and had a quota to close 5 life insurance applications per day in order to keep their job. That’s 1200 in a year! How can the representatives keep up with that pace and provide excellent service? They can’t. Another sales rep posted in Glassdoor that SelectQuote "goes out of their way to take money from agents' pockets." According to a former employee, this creates lots of employee turnover. You might not speak with the same person twice!
- The SelectQuote sales representative’s approach is the “one call close”. The goal is to get you to commit to completing an application and medical exam the first time they speak to you. There is a rush to get it done now!
- As a friend to agents who used to work there (now at JRC Insurance Group), they said when they worked there, which was around 2015 and earlier, that even though you want life insurance, the SelectQuote representative is required to “cross-sell” and ask about your auto, homeowners, or a possible medicare supplemental policy at least 3x during the initial conversation. I'm not sure if this is still the case there.
LOUSY SERVICE WOULD BE A COMPLIMENT TO WHAT YOU GET FROM SELECTQUOTE
- No instant online life insurance quotes are provided on SelectQuote’s website when you enter your contact information. More on this below.
- Select Quote life insurance has a lot of complaints about their application and underwriting process. It takes a long time to get your application approved.
- No 2nd option or back up plan! What happens if your application is approved with a different health class than you applied for? This requires shopping the original life insurance company’s medical exam & any collected medical records to multiple life insurance companies to get the best possible price. This task requires a lot of extra administrative processing time. With a 5/day new application quota, the SelectQuote insurance services representative doesn’t have the time to shop around. This means the 1st company’s offer is going to be your only offer with SelectQuote.
- Even though the representative you speak to is licensed, they will NOT be the one who signs your application as the “agent of record”. The call center manager or the owner of SelectQuote, Charan Singh, is the agent appointed with multiple life insurance companies & may sign the application as your agent even though you never spoke with them. What if there is a problem or you need service after the after you already bought? Who do you call when there is a death claim or you need to change your beneficiary? Not your representative. He has moved on to the next potential sale or no longer works there. Don’t count on a call back from Charan Singh either.
Get a Quote from Our Best Priced Company
SELECTQUOTE's ONLINE qUOTING pROCESS
If you try to get an online life insurance quote from SelectQuote, it is quite the process and in the end, don't actually show you any quotes!
I recently went through the process and found they ask detailed questions about:
- Age, gender, height & weight
- Family history of disease
- Health questions such as blood pressure and cholesterol
- and much more!
It took about 8-10 minutes. It was pretty in depth!
An agent had to call to complete my quote and while he was polite and knowledgeable, he proceeded to ask me every single question I had already filled out in the online form. You can see the video below.
I think what bothered me about this whole process was how SelectQuote asks you several questions on their website and still doesn't show you a quote.
I expected they'd show me at least a ballpark quote after all that time spent.
Instead, once you're done, they show a message saying "Your quote is being processed" and tell you you'll need to "answer your phone to complete your free quote."
And then the SQ rep asks all the same questions over again!
I liked the agent, but I definitely felt like they wasted quite a bit of my time.
SELECTQUOTE LIFE INSURANCE DOES NOT SAVE YOU MORE $$$ THAN THE INDEPENDENT AGENT
- Select Quote Life Insurance can not offer lower premiums than this website. Your exact life insurance price will depend on 3 Variables.
- The amount of the policy
- When does the policy expire
- What health class you are approved at
The price of life insurance is fixed by insurance companies based on these 3 variables. This means a 20 year term life insurance policy with Prudential is the same price at SelectQuote as on this and all insurance websites.
WHY YOU SHOULD BUY YOUR LIFE INSURANCE ON THIS WEBSITE
- Save $$$ – Get the lowest cost possible for your life insurance.
- Save time – Instant online life insurance quotes from ALL the top rated life insurance companies.
- No pressure sales tactics – It’s better to take your time and get it done the right way!
- Superior Service– The attention to detail your application deserves. This is especially true if you are approved at a different health class than you applied for, have health conditions, or have certain hobbies or habits.
- Very fast and convenient online application process – The quickest approval possible
- Licensed since 1992 – State license number provided upon request. I will be the agent who actually signs your application.
- I want to be your life insurance agent!
Instant term quotes from Haven Life with no personal info required!
***FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS IN SELECTQUOTE REVIEWS***
- Is SelectQuote legitimate? The answer is yes! SelectQuote is very reputable and has been in business since 1985 and has helped thousands of people buy life insurance and plan their estate.
- Is Select Quote reliable enough to provide the best service? Sometimes. You will see great comments about their service on SelectQuote’s website. The flip side is the service is not so good when you read the complaints about SelectQuote from the Better Business Bureau.
- Does SelectQuote represent the most reputable life insurance companies? The answer is yes BUT they are not unique. You will find the same exact companies and MORE on the website.
- How does Select Quote make money? The honest answer is SelectQuote, like all life insurance agents, makes a commission on every insurance policy they sell. This commission is paid by the life insurance company and not the buyer.
- Does SelectQuote sell different kinds of insurance besides term life insurance? Yes they do. You can also get quotes for whole life insurance, universal life insurance, and guaranteed life insurance. Recently SelectQuote has also started selling auto insurance, home owner’s insurance as well as Medicare supplement insurance.
- Are there additional life insurance riders available on SelectQuote life insurance? Yes. Life insurance riders such as children's insurance rider, wavier of premium rider, return of premium rider as well as living benefits riders are available.
- What is life expectancy? Life expectancy is the statistical expectation of how long someone will live at birth based on a number of factors such as socioeconomics, demographic, geographic, thermographic, stenographic, idiographic, and historiographics.
SelectQuote Life Insurance Alternatives
Many of the following companies have better products and cheaper prices versus SelectQuote Life Insurance. Some even offer no medical exam policies.
AIG Direct Life Insurance Review
AIG Direct offers online quotes, works with healthy people (plus people in less-than-perfect health), and provides options for coverage you may not find elsewhere.
Banner Life Insurance Review
Banner Life Insurance company is part of Legal & General Group, a London-based multinational financial services company founded in 1836. Banner likes to keep their life insurance offerings simple with just term and universal life insurance.
Bestow Life Insurance Review
Bestow Insurance offers term life insurance for people between the ages of 18 and 60, and in generally good health. You can get coverage online in about 10 minutes starting at $10 a month.
Ethos Life Insurance Review
Ethos is not a life insurance company. They are a licensed producer and third party administrator. Founded in 2017, Ethos has developed an online platform that allows you to apply for life insurance and possibly get instant approval.
Fabric Life Insurance Review
Fabric Life offers affordable life insurance with easy, online quotes and application available 24/7. The company uses algorithms to speed up the underwriting process, with well-qualified applicants getting approved without a medical exam.
Geico Life Insurance Review
GEICO offers life insurance products through its partner, LifeQuotes.com. LifeQuotes.com provides access to dozens of life insurance carriers which makes it easy to get a quote for term, universal or whole life insurance.
Haven Life Insurance Review
Haven Life Insurance Agency, LLC, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of MassMutual and offers an easy and fast online quoting and application process for term life insurance.
Ladder Life Insurance Review
Ladder has developed an online platform that allows you to apply for life insurance and possibly get instant approval. They have teamed up with Fidelity Security Life in 49 states and in New York with Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York.
Lemonade Life Insurance Review
Using AI technology and chatbots, Lemonade offers a completely online experience and lightning fast claims processing through its mobile app.
Matrix Direct Life Insurance Review
Matrix Direct Life Insurance, now AIG Direct, is a life insurance company offering coverage through American General Life Insurance and The United States Life Insurance Company in the City of New York. Most policies require a medical exam, but certain term and whole life products can be purchased without one.
Nerdwallet Life Insurance Review
When you request a quote from Nerdwallet Life Insurance you will be redirected to another website called Quotacy. Quotacy is backed by Hallett Financial Group, Inc. Hallett Financial Group, Inc is a full service multi-carrier independent insurance brokerage agency.
Prudential Life Insurance Review
Prudential Life Insurance is one of the largest life insurance companies in the US. They offer term life and universal life insurance policies that let you add extra features to customize your coverage.
TruStage Life Insurance Review
TruStage is convenient and is a solid company, but is a lot more expensive compared to other online life insurance providers, limits coverage to $100,000, and only offers 5-year terms.
Still have questions? Call (888) 681-4952